But first, let’s start with reality.
The reality is that everyone makes mistakes with their diet.
So there will be times you mess up…and that’s cool, as long as you learn from it. Just get back on track as soon as possible.
This call is full of motivation and kick-butt mindset tips…
Let’s kick off with Kekich Credo #7
“You’re successful when you like who and what you are. Success includes achievement…while choosing and directing your own activities. It means enjoying intimate relationships and loving what you do in life.”
I say…”Success is not just a number on a scale. Success is living with energy and happily making healthy choices. When you choose to eat healthy and exercise instead of watching TV, that is achievement….
“This will help you love life and the people around you more. The PROCESS is often just as important as the physical progress…A body transformation cannot happen without a mental transformation as well.”
And now, our fat loss tips.
Monday – March 8th
Transformation Tip of the Week:
5 tough questions to ask yourself today if you are struggling:
1) Why do you continue to make short term decisions that ruin your chances of long-term success?
2) Why do you continue to eat junk when you want to lose fat?
3) Why do you watch so much TV when you know you should be exercising?
4) Why do you still do cardio and crunches when they haven’t given you results and they never will?
(See: 7 Reasons NEVER to do crunches again)
5) Why do you hide your goals when you know that support will help you succeed?
Take time to answer those. Identify the obstacles. Plan solutions. Then you’ll succeed!
Now for some lower body exercise substitutions:
For Squats –> You can do 1-leg squats, 1-leg bench squats (see photo), bulgurian split squats, split squats, lunges, step-ups, reaching lunges, 1-leg deadlifts, or 1-leg hip extensions. Goblet squats are okay too. DB squats are okay, but usually the grip strength becomes an issue.
For DB Split Squats -> You can do:
– 1-leg lying hip extensions for beginners
– high-rep Bulgarian split squats for advanced
– 1-leg bench squats (see photo)
– high-rep split squats with your front foot elevated 4-6 inches for intermediate
– 1-leg deadlifts
– 1-leg squats onto bench
– reaching lunges
We’ll do pushing and pulling exercises later
Interesting resistance training weight loss study…
Researchers at the University of Rhode Island foundthat weight training plus diet helps seniors lose almost 9 pounds of fat…while diet-only group lost less than one pound of fat.
In the study, they had 27 overweight and obese older (age 67years) adults separated into 2 groups:
Group 1 followed the 10-week Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension for weight loss diet (DASH, n = 12)
Group 2 followed the DASH Diet plus moderate intensity resistance training (DASH-RT, n = 15).
Weight Loss – no difference between groups, but the average was over 6.6 pounds of weight loss.
DASH-RT = 3.6kg
DASH = 2kg
Body fat loss – The resistance training PLUS diet group lost about 9 pounds of fat, while the diet-only lost less than 1/2 a pound of fat!
DASH-RT = 4.1kg
DASH = 0.2kg
Lean Mass gains – Only the resistance training group gained lean mass. The diet group LOST lean mass.
DASH-RT = 0.8kg
DASH = -1.4kg
Eur J Appl Physiol. 2010 Feb 19. Effect of moderate intensity resistance training during weight loss on body composition and physical performance in overweight older adults. Avila JJ, Gutierres JA, Sheehy ME, Lofgren IE, Delmonico MJ.
Another hard question…
During your workout, always be asking yourself if you are doing the BEST that you can.
Are giving extreme focus to the exercise? Even if it is just off-day stretching, are you doing everything you can to get the MOST out of your efforts? And if the choice comes up between “blowing off” the last exercise or sucking it up and sticking to it, make sure you choose wisely.
Pushing exercise substitutions
For DB Chest Presses (of any kind) -> You can do one of these:
– close-grip pushups
– decline pushup
– elevated pushups
– off-set pushups
– pushups with your feet on the ball
– pushups with your hands on the ball
– spiderman pushups
– pike pushups
– or possibly the hardest two hand pushup of them all, decline close-grip spiderman pushups
Do 30 minutes of fun activity
“In order to succeed you must fail, so that you know what not to do the next time.” Anthony J. D’Angelo
Pulling exercise substitutions
For DB Rows -> Using the smith machine, you can do…
– inverted rows
– underhand inverted rows
– inverted rows with your feet on the ball
– inverted rows holding the ends of a towel hung over the bar (advanced grip strength there!)
For DB Rows -> Using the pullup bar, you can do…
– eccentric pull-ups
– regular pull-ups
– sternum pull-ups
– side to side pull-ups
In place of bodyweight rows, you can do:
db elbow-out row
db chest supported row
db rear deltoid raises
seated cable rows
In place of pull-ups and chinups, you can do:
underhand grip pulldowns (kneeling) – replace chinups
overhand grip pulldowns (kneeling) – replace pull-ups
assisted chinups/pull-ups using machine
Social Support Saturday!
30 minutes of fun activity…
And a quote I like that I’m not apologizing for believing in…
“People are always blaming circumstance for what they are. I do not believe in circumstance. The people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstance they want and if they can’t find them they make them.” – George Bernard Shaw
It’s not politically correct, but it’s true to me.
Sunday – Plan, Shop & Prepare
30 minutes activity and plan, shop, & prepare.
Now here’s how to eat healthy for cheap:
1) Look for house brands for certain items at the grocery store.
2) Look for coupons both online and local.
3) Try to shop for things that are in season.
4) Grow a garden & prepare things at home (and make your own breads, shakes, hummus)
5) If you shop at food chain stores, wait until the end of the day or evening to shop. Fresh food prices will drop to prepare for new items for the next day.
6) Eat less meat, buy less expensive (but quality) meat or no meat. Replace meat with beans.
7) Use portion control when eating dinners at home. You can get 3-4 meals out of it that way.
8] Plan your meals for the entire week.
9) Buy non-perishable items in bulk whenever possible.
10) If you have a large freezer, you can freeze many items in bulk and freeze foods that can go bad and use them in blender drinks.
Remember: Better to pay your grocer than your doctor!
TT Workout – More interval training research & exercise substitutions
Weekly Research Review – The best way to measure your fat loss
Nutrition – The latest new foods in my diet