The social media posts, likes, and comments on 3 of my circuits are unanimous – you all love-hate them… Ha!
These fan favorites…
• Young Perky Buns in 3 Killer Combo Moves
• 6 Exercises for an Ageless Upper Body
• Killer Core Circuit for 6-Pack Abs
… Are each so effective at toning, tightening, and chiseling your body in such a short amount of time that I’ve decided to combine them into a Total Body Circuit – it’s my ‘Best of” Edition!
Spring Break is nearing and many of you have exciting beach vacations planned…
Others are looking ahead to summer and are motivated to be a part of all the fun outdoor activities that you love.
Even if you’re half way around the world and headed into winter, I know you’re pining for more great workouts to keep to strong and fit all year long.
Try my “Best of” Total Body Circuit then let me know on Facebook what you think.
I can‘t wait to hear from you!
As always – form first! Here are some notes to help keep you in line:
1. Wide Stance Squat into Skater (Curtsy) Lunge:
- Begin with feet set wide, toes angled out slightly. Engage core and stay lifted through the chest.
- Perform a squat by pushing hips back first then sitting deep into heels. Draw up through inner thighs and glutes to return to standing.
- Shift into a Curtsy lunge, stepping right foot behind and across left leg. Lower into the lunge keeping weight in left heel. Press up through glutes to return to Wide Stance Squat position.
- Repeat the squat then Curtsy lunge to the other side.
- Perform 10 repetitions: 1 squat plus 1 lunge = 1 rep
2. Lateral Stepping Push Up:
- Begin in High Plank Pose with hands and feet set together.
- Step one arm and leg out to the side and drop into a pushup.
- Press back to center and repeat for the other side.
- Try to maintain level hips as you move from side to side.
- Perform 10 repetitions each side.
3. Side Plank Reach-Under:
- Begin in side plank balancing on one hand and edges of feet. Extend top arm skyward and tighten core.
- Scoop the belly in and reach top arm under body toward heels.
- Press into the floor with hand and feet to help lift hips and rotate shoulders as you reach under.
- Return to side plank. Repeat for designated reps then switch sides.
- Perform 10 repetitions per side
4. Single Leg Dead Lift into Reverse Lunge:
- Begin standing on one foot with knee soft and glutes engaged, other foot can be set with just toes on floor or lifted completely off ground. Hold one dumbbell in front standing leg’s thigh.
- Push hips back in order to bend forward and create a stretch in the hamstrings. Keep spine long and chest forward as you fold.
- Return upright by engaging glutes, hamstrings, and abs.
- Perform a Reverse Lunge stepping onto ball of back foot and dropping back knee toward floor.
- Keep weight shifted onto front leg, specifically driving up through the heel and glutes of that front leg as you return to standing
- Repeat the Dead Lift and Reverse Lunge on the same leg for designated reps then switch sides.
- Perform 10 repetitions per side: 1 dead lift plus 1 lunge =1 rep
5. DB Bent over Reverse Fly:
- Bend over with flat back, tight abs, and soft knees.
- Start with dumbbells down in front of knees with palms together and elbows slightly bent.
- Open arms out and up to shoulder level engaging back of shoulder and muscles of the upper back. Return to start position controlling weight on the way down.
- Perform 10 repetitions
6. Sphinx Pushup:
- Begin in plank on forearms and knees.
- Align elbows under shoulders and press palms flat into floor.
- Pull abs up and in.
- Press into hands to lift elbows of the floor and fully extend arms.
- Slowly lower down to start position without elbows flaring out.
- Perform 10 repetitions
7. Hamstring Curl and Hip Lift on Fit Ball
- Begin lying on a mat with heels on top of a Fit Ball; legs straight and feet flexed.
- Lift hips off floor. Bend knees and engage hamstrings curling ball toward hips.
- Pause with a 90 degree knee bend. Lower hips to tap the mat then drive right back up.
- Press legs out straight again.
- Repeat: Curl feet in, Lower hips down, Lift hips up, Curl feet out. Use hamstrings and glutes as the primary movers. Core stays engaged for balance.
- Perform 10 repetitions: 1 curl plus1 hip lift =1 rep.
8. Killer Core Circuit:
Triple Threat Abs: Hip Tuck, Heel Dig, V-up—5 to 6 rounds
- Begin lying on your back with legs up, knees slightly bent.
- Hold onto an anchor point over head such as a heavy dumbbell or sturdy piece of furniture for leverage
- Hip Tuck: Pull on anchor point to close ribcage & engage abs; lift the hips off the floor pushing feet toward ceiling. Lower with control
- Heel Dig: maintain knee bend as you lower heels toward the floor. Tailbone will stay tucked up so low back doesn’t arch and arms maintain tension on the anchor point to keep abs engaged.
- V-up: pause the legs ½ way up from the heel dig & hold. Release the anchor point, sit up and tap ankles. Lower back to mat with control and abs very tight.
Oblique Pullovers—6 each side
- Begin lying on your back with arms up over chest; hold 1 dumbbell between both hands. Start with legs up over hips, slight bend in knees.
- Engage core and tuck tailbone up to find a neutral spine.
- At the same rate, lower legs toward floor and take dumbbell overhead while maintaining tension in abs.
- Drive legs and arms back together over chest adding a small hip tuck & rotation at the top of the movement.
- Repeat the pullover alternating the direction of the hip rotation at the top each time.
Plank Series: Cross Body Touches, Lateral Taps, Spiderman Climbs, Mountain climbs, Plank Hold—6 each side, plus an 8-9 count hold at end
- Begin in High Plank for all variations—chest drawn between hands, body lengthened, thighs engaged and entire body toned.
- Cross Body Touches: touch right hand and left foot to meet under torso. Return to plank and repeat on the other side.
- Lateral Taps: hold plank while legs alternate tapping out laterally from the hips. Make the movement quick and athletic.
- Spiderman Climbs: hold plank while you alternate driving each knee up toward the same side elbow and plant foot on the floor.
- Mountain climbs: hold plank while you alternate driving each knee up toward the chest.
- Hold: hold plank with perfect form: heels press back as chest lengthens forward. Thighs and abs press up as tailbone curls down. Squeeze tighter through the core with each exhale.