I love salads year round… and during the winter months it’s fun to get creative with roasted veggies and flavors that leave you feeling warm and satisfied but not heavy and bloated.
This winter salad is perfect for this time of year… especially after a day of holiday feasting! It has plenty of health benefits to keep you on track with your fitness goals like:
Chard: These leafy greens contain at
least 13 different polyphenol antioxidants and a number of flavonoids, one of which has received special attention in recent research due to its blood sugar regulating properties. This flavonoid has been shown to inhibit activity of an enzyme that results in fewer carbs being broken down into simple sugars allowing blood sugar to stay more stable.
Salmon: This nutrient dense fish provides important amounts of the amino acid taurine, which plays a critical role in immune support, insulin sensitivity, and electrolyte balance, along with many other functions. Salmon is an excellent source of vitamin B12, vitamin D, and selenium. It is a good source of niacin, omega-3 fatty acids, protein, phosphorus, and vitamin B6; all of which are vital to energy production.
Olives: Olives and olive oil contain an abundance of phenolic antioxidants as well as several anti-cancer compounds, vitamins, minerals, and omega-3 fatty acids. All of these work in unity to reduce inflammation, repair cells, and aid digestion.
Gogi Berries: These little fruits are loaded with beta-carotene, which helps promote healthy skin. Plus they are full of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that boost the immune system, protect the eyes, lower blood pressure, stabilized blood sugar, and much more!
Try out this recipe that includes a simple, but mouth-watering, dressing to top this salad to perfection!
Winter Salad with Citrus Salmon & Olives
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 10 minutes | Yield: 2 servings
Ingredients – Salad:
- Swiss Chard, torn into pieces
- 1 orange bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 10 green olives, pitted
- 2 tbsps dried gogi berries
- 10 ounces wild caught salmon
- ½ -1 lemon, juiced
- Olive oil
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
Ingredients – Spicy Citrus Vinaigrette:
- 1 orange, juiced
- ½ tbsp raw, local honey
- 3-4 tbsps olive oil
- ½ – 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 sprinkle crushed red pepper flakes (or black pepper for less heat)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Make the Spicy Citrus Vinaigrette blending all ingredients in a small bowl until will combined. Set aside.
- Place salmon in a glass baking dish. Drizzle with lemon juice, olive oil, sea salt, and pepper to taste.
- Roast in oven for about 10 minutes. Check fish with a fork—when it flakes easily remove from heat and cover with foil.
- While fish roasts prepare salad. In a large bowl, add chard and next 3 ingredients. Add ½ of the Spicy Citrus Vinaigrette and toss to coat.
- Top salad with roasted salmon, flaking it into pieces.