As bread is always being lambasted as being too high in carbs, exactly what can be used as a substitute that is both nutritious AND practical – i.e., that can be used every day to make a sandwich for lunch? Everything I can think of has a grain in it!
I asked my nutrition expert friend Isabel De Los Rios (beyonddiet.com) for some help. Here’s what she said…
You can go one of two ways with this, or use a combo of both:
1. Choose organic, sprouted grain breads (such as Food For Life Ezekiel Bread) whenever possible. The process of “sprouting” grains makes them much more digestible and nutritious. Compared to “processed grain,” sprouted grain is much higher in protein and fiber and lower in carbs.
2. Use vegetables – such as romaine lettuce, sliced tomatoes, sliced eggplant, and portabella mushrooms – instead of bread. For instance, instead of a boring sandwich, you could make:
- turkey, roast beef, and cheese lettuce wraps (Don’t forget a drop of mustard.)
- sauteed chicken and vegetable lettuce wraps
- tuna salad on sliced tomatoes
- turkey or beef burgers on portabella mushrooms
- scrambled eggs and bacon on sliced tomatoes
Happy eating![Ed. Note: Supplement the above suggestions for low-carb meals with a fat-burning exercise routine. Learn how to build muscle and blast fat with Craig’s Turbulence Training program.]