Kale & Mango Salad for Dinner Tonight!
I made this salad a few weeks ago and it was a big hit at our house… so I thought I would share it with you!
It’s super easy to throw together for a quick weeknight meal, it’s a great leftover, and there are a host of health benefits from these few simple ingredients.
Here are just a few to whet your appetite:
Kale… is incredibly nutrient dense. Fiber, potassium, vitamin C, and B6 are just part of what makes kale one of the healthiest of the leafy greens.
Mango… is an excellent source of fiber and Vitamins C and E, plus it’s alkalinizing to the system and contains compounds like quercetin that are proven cancer preventers.
Raw Sprouted Pumpkin Seeds… are another nutrient powerhouse. These little seeds contain tons of vitamins and minerals that work along side antioxidants and powerful plant compounds called phytosterols that support a healthy heart, immune system, and even better sleep!
Cumin… offers so many different health benefits it’s a no brainer to add this spice into your cooking. Cumin aids in digestion; improves immunity, insomnia, and respiratory disorders; treats asthma, bronchitis, and the common cold; and supports healthy skin and red blood cell production. Phew!
Pair this tasty salad with a nice warm soup and you’ll have the perfect winter meal that’s satisfying but won’t leave you feeling bloated or heavy.
Cumin-Lime Kale & Mango Salad with Sautéed Shrimp
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 4 minutes | Yield: 2-4 servings (2 meals, 4 side salads)
For the Salad:
- 1 bunch Curly Kale, pulled from ribs and torn into bites sized pieces
- 1 ripe mango, cubed
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tbsp raw sprouted pumpkin seeds
- 20 small – medium-sized shrimp, cleaned and peeled
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 1 sprinkle red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
For the Cumin Lime Vinaigrette:
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 tbsp raw local honey
- 3-4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Make the dressing by adding all ingredients into a small bowl and combining well.
- Place kale in a large bowl. Add dressing and massage to tenderize kale and incorporate flavor.
- Add rest of ingredients, except pumpkin seeds, and toss well. Set aside.
- Heat a sauté pan to medium-high heat. Add olive oil. Season shrimp with sea salt, garlic powder, and red pepper flakes then add to skillet.
- Sauté shrimp until cooked; about 2 minutes per side.
- Divide salad into desired servings. Top with pumpkin seeds and shrimp.
Delicious — Enjoy!