In a perfect world, we’d all have websites that sold every visitor who landed on the page.
This would allow us to go out and buy ads on other sites, plus TV commercials, radio commercials, and maybe even a Superbowl ad.
However, this is not the case for 99.9% of the website business owners I know (I know of just 2 guys who are master’s of buying media for their websites).
So the reality is that we need to think like Napster and do some peer-to-peer marketing.
We need to use the Napster Affiliate Marketing Plan. And the best way to do that is by starting with people who are on an even playing field with us.
Don’t shoot too high or start too low, but make sure you work with someone who is juuuust right…as if you were Goldilocks looking for a joint venture (JV) partner.
That means partnering with someone who has about the same number of people on their prospect and customer lists.
You’re equal peers and this way you have a fair trade.
You mail for them, they mail for you, and both of your customer lists get a little bit bigger.
Then you go and find someone else who is a little bit bigger than your last JV partner, and you work with them.
But, let me be blunt:
This should NOT be your only long-term business strategy.
All the time you are doing these JV/affiliate deals and swaps you should be testing your website and making it better, so that more and more of those people who land on your site actually make a purchase.
Never lose focus of traffic and conversion.
But back to our Napster model – because we’re using this as our source of traffic for now.
Here’s what you’re going to do:
1) Identify other businesses that have customer email lists that are about the same size as yours (do this by contacting them, helping them, building a relationship, and asking)
2) Arrange to do email swap deals (you send a promo to your list and they send one to theirs – then you each get some new customers into your system)
3) Make sure they are sending to your best offer
4) Test something each time (test both the the emails that are sent out and the page that the prospects are being sent to – split testing on the Internet is free, so make sure you are taking advantage of this)
5) Do more of the stuff that works and less of the stuff that doesn’t
As oddvious as step #5 is, most people overlook it, and keep doing the same things over and over again that do NOT get them results. But if you’re familiar with the popular cliche, you know that’s the definition of insanity.
Aim to do at least one of these swaps each WEEK.
Yes, each week.
Just imagine how far ahead you will be if you complete 52 deals in 2012…and do 52 different split tests of your offer.
Holy conversions Batman, you’ll be well on your way to that perfect world situation I described earlier.
The more often you can do this, the more data you get…the more data you get, the better your offer becomes. The better your offer is, the more sales you make. You get the point.
Test for success.
Make deals for momentum. And that’s how you make 2012 your best year ever,
Do more – and do better – because you can.