“I love the 2 minute Savasana. I think of it as recharging a battery. I feel a positive elevation in my mood and am refreshed to continue on with my day”
“[Savasana] is perfect… It relaxes my entire body from head to toe and calms my mind, which is a welcomed moment of quiet during a busy day. Highly recommend taking two minutes for this practice as the physical and mental rewards are so worth it!”
“A two minute Savasana… allows me to completely rest my body and mind. It seems odd that…I can melt away for a few minutes and come back completely refreshed. But it’s true! After a short Savasana, I open my eyes and feel like a new, well-rested person. I then go back to my desk and have more energy…”
“The Savasana helps me recalibrate my perspective and creates a feeling of centeredness and openness to whatever challenges lie ahead.”
“…Savasana is like hitting the perfect mind/body re-set button; makes me feel good down to the soul and helps get me through the rest of the day feeling refreshed”
Those are just some of the testimonials I’ve received from clients regarding the two-minute Savasana. There is really nothing quite like it.
Savasana is a yoga asana, a posture. It is the Sanskrit word for Corpse Pose and involves the effortless act of lying flat on your back with legs extended, feet rolled out, palms turned up, shoulders tucked down, and eyes closed.
By drifting into a deeply restful state without falling asleep you create the opportunity to calm your mind and rejuvenate your body.
Savasana has such a profound effect on every aspect of your outlook that you can feel like a new person after just two minutes.
This posture offers so many benefits:
- Brings a deep, meditative state of rest, which may help in the repair of tissues and cells, and in releasing stress.
- Provides an opportunity to cultivate awareness about your current physical and mental state so that you can make a shift and sink to a deeper level of relaxation.
- Leaves you in a state of rejuvenation.
- Reduces blood pressure, anxiety, and insomnia
- Is an excellent way to ground the body and clear the mind
Give it a try! Here’s what to do:
- Lay flat on your back with legs out straight, feet splayed
- Tuck your shoulders down your back so your neck is long then roll your palms open, arms by your sides.
- Close your eyes. Soften your jaw & tongue.
- Starting at the feet and using your breath as a guide begin to work your way up the body visualizing every muscle, sinew, and bone melting into the ground with every exhale.
- Give in fully to the weight of gravity and sink into the earth. Stay in a meditative state for at least 2 minutes (but up to 10 if you have time)
When you’re ready, very gradually begin to awaken your body with soft, gentle movements. Perhaps you begin with a big belly breath then a little wiggle of the fingers and toes.
Take a moment to become aware of the subtle shifts you may be experiencing. Slowly press yourself up to a seated position and note the difference in energy, outlook, and sense of being grounded.
Know that with regular practice, like all habits, you will more easily fall into Savasana and be able to reawaken with a renewed sense of self in just two minutes!