Active time: 30 minutes | Cook time: 4 hours | Yield 6-8 servings
- 4 lb corned brisket of beef
- 4 large unpeeled carrots, cut into large chunks
- 2 rutabagas, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 2 onions
- 2 teaspoons dry English mustard
- 1 teaspoon of chopped thyme and rosemary
- 1 cabbage
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Put the brisket into a roasting pan with the carrots, rutabagas, onions, mustard and herbs.
3. Cover with cold water, and bring gently to a boil.
4. Bake in the preheated oven for 2 hours.
5. Discard the outer leaves of the cabbage, cut in quarters and add to the pan.
6. Cook 2 more hours or until the meat and vegetables are soft and tender.
7. Serve the corned beef in slices, surrounded by the vegetables and cooking liquid.
8. Serve with freshly made mustard.