Making your own bone broth can be fun and simple! Plus, the benefits are too great to ignore!
- 1 pound bone-in beef shank
- 1 pound neck bones
- 3 carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 onions, quartered and peeled
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cloves
- Put all ingredients in a 12-quart stockpot and add enough cold water to cover.
- Bring to a simmer, then reduce to a low simmer, for 5 hours.
- While simmering, occasionally skim fat and foam from the top using a ladle.
Remove meat and bones with a slotted spoon or tongs; reserve meat for another use (such as soup). Pour broth through a fine-mesh strainer into a large heatproof bowl. Once broth has cooled, store in the refrigerator in an airtight container. Reheat as needed.
Or if you don’t have time to make your own and still want to reap the benefits…